High quality early learning opportunities require that teachers have specialized training in Early Childhood Education and/or Child Development. The Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education supports the development of a strong teacher workforce by offering scholarship opportunities.
About the Scholarship
- This scholarship provides recipients with the necessary credentials to obtain a job in First Class Pre-K.
- This scholarship is for qualified child care professionals working in early childhood centers/programs (i.e. child care, Head Start, faith-based, Title I, First Class); priority is given to child care professionals in First Class pre-K settings
- The scholarship is funded through the Department of Early Childhood Education
- Applicants can obtain a CDA, AAS, BS in Child Development or Early Childhood Education, or additional classwork that is required by the Department of Early Childhood Education, from an accredited in-state institution, in order to teach in a First Class Pre-K classroom.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for other financial aid (i.e. Pell grant, TEACH, Leadership) that must be used PRIOR to Work Force Development scholarship funds.
- This scholarship may pay for students to take the same class only 1 time
- Applicant has to live in Alabama
- Applicant has to be working in an early childhood education setting
- Applicant must attend an accredited college/university in Alabama
- Award based on eligibility of funds
- Provide a completed application and verifications of residency and employment in early childhood in Alabama
- Be employed in early childhood program
- Apply for college admission, complete all admission requirements and receive a letter of acceptance from the institutions
- Students receiving a DECE scholarship must send scholarship administrator a copy of the course registration form in order for DECE to send monies to the institution prior to drop/add registration date
- Maintain 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average in general education classes and at least a 3.0 in specialized coursework
- Scholarship recipients must submit their grades to the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education at the end of each semester. If an applicant receives a “D”, “F”, or “incomplete” for the semester, the applicant must repay funding that was awarded through the scholarship or pay for a required subsequent course
- Students must follow college procedures and deadlines for withdrawing from courses. Scholarship recipients must notify the scholarship administrator at DECE if withdrawal is done after the last date for drop/add registration.
- If recipients are unable to attend classes for valid reasons, a letter must be submitted to the scholarship administrator at DECE to avoid repayment of tuition to DECE
- All applicants must meet the ADECE criteria for the Work Force Development Scholarship.
- Applicants who meet the criteria may access the Work Force Development Scholarship at the following link:
For Additional Information:
Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education
Scholarship Administrators – Dr. Trellis Smith and/or Ms. Theresa Patterson
P.O. Box 302755
Montgomery, Alabama 36130
Phone: (334) 353-2700