The Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education (DECE) is pleased to announce that one-time grant funds up to $10,000.00 will be awarded to Alabama’s higher education institutions to pursue a program whereby the sponsoring institution will organize, plan and manage logistics in order to offer the Teaching Strategies® Accreditation Program for Trainers (APT). The program prepares participants to deliver training that promotes teachers’ reliable use of the Teaching Strategies® curriculum and assessment tool. DECE will award these one-time grants through a competitive application and review process. Applications are due by March 31st.
The MyTeachingStrategies™ Gold assessment tool is currently used in all Alabama First Class PreK classrooms, the Alabama Prek-3rd Grade Integrated Approach to Early Learning Pilot, Head Starts and some DHR family childcare and DHR childcare classrooms. The mission of Teaching Strategies® is to advance the early childhood field through high-quality, integrated resources; responsive, ongoing support; and research-based, research-proven solutions that enable every early childhood educator to open doors to lifelong learning. Teaching Strategies® created an Accreditation Program for Trainers (APT) that prepares participants to deliver training that promotes teachers’ reliable use of Teaching Strategies® curriculum and the assessment tool. Accredited trainers assist teachers in understanding the developmental levels of children in their classrooms and empower them to use the curriculum materials and assessment data to individualize instruction, as well as communicate with families and other stakeholders.
To apply for funding, a sponsoring institution must:
• Be a regionally-accredited institution of higher education located in the state of Alabama;
• Have an articulation agreement already in place or can show that the institution is working toward finalizing such an agreement for early childhood and/or child development courses (in addition to STARS); and
• Provide documentation to the DECE on the progress of this work;
• Commit to upholding Teaching Strategies® professional development competencies as well as APT trainer core competencies and guidelines;
• Commit to managing all logistics for ongoing Teaching Strategies® training, including:
1. handling the selection process for APT trainer(s)
2. choosing the topic (Creative Curriculum or TS GOLD platform) for APT trainer(s)
[APT trainer(s) must be trained in TSGOLD platform before applying for the Creative Curriculum topic]
• advancing workforce development for teachers through the APT trainer(s)
1. arranging for a training facility with adequate space for all attendees
2. providing ongoing monitoring of APT trainer(s)
3. maintaining records of the training services provided by APT trainer(s)
• Encourage higher education collaboration with DECE for a three-year period in relation to APT training and assure APT trainer(s) conduct three (3) trainings per year for the agency.
Follow this link to apply: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=dcaalabama
If you have any questions regarding the application process or requests for further information, please contact Jean Allen at 334-314-0023 or email@example.com.