First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K
is part of the Office of School Readiness within our department. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Office of School Readiness defines school readiness as a condition whereby children enter school with
Why High-Quality Pre-Kindergarten?
- An enthusiasm for learning,
- An ability to function in a social setting,
- Age-appropriate communication and problem solving skills,
- Age-appropriate physical and emotional skills, and
- Optimal health.
Numerous studies have shown that students who have participated in high-quality pre-kindergarten programs
- Are less likely to repeat a grade, require remedial education, or be placed in special education,
- Score higher on achievement tests,
- Are more likely to graduate from high-school and go on to college
- Get higher paying salaries as adults, and
- Are more likely to stay out of prison and off welfare.
Alabama's Early Childhood Advisory Council (ECAC)
The mission of the Alabama's Early Childhood Advisory Council is building a comprehensive early childhood collaboration of systems by effectively integrating efforts and resources to improve the lives of Alabama's children and families. Alabama's ECAC is managed through the Office of School Readiness.
More Information is coming soon! Please check back later.