Professional Development Makes a Difference
Alabama Early Childhood Education Exemplar Video Library
Early Childhood Reflective Coaching in Alabama
Alabama Reflective Coaching
Alabama Reflective Coaching (ARC) is anchored from Rush and Shelden’s (2005) evidenced based definition that focuses on (a) identifying what we do as an adult learning strategy; (b) where the coach promotes the learner’s ability to reflect on his or her actions as a means to determine the effectiveness of an action or practice; and (c) develops a plan for refinement and use of the action in immediate and future situations. ARC incorporates the following coaching competencies:
- Collaborative Goal Setting and Action Planning
- Intentional Observation
- Individualized Support and Follow-Through
- Reflection and Feedback
Practice Based Coaching
Practice-Based Coaching (PBC) is a professional development strategy that uses a cyclical process. This process supports teachers’ use of effective teaching practices that lead to positive outcomes for children. PBC involves the following components:
- Collaborative Partnerships
- Shared Goals and Action Planning
- Focused Observation
- Reflection and Feedback
Alabama Early Childhood Coaching Framework and Competencies
Professional Development Resources
- myTeachstone: Online professional development resource system supporting teacher growth by focusing the professional lens on high quality teacher-child interactions
- NAEYC Online Learning Lab: The NAEYC Learning Lab offers a variety of formats to match your preferred experience and budget. Choose from a growing selection of 1-hour modules and mini-courses providing 3 or more hours of training.
- Teaching Strategies PD: Enhance implementation and elevate teaching practices with an ever-growing library of modular, flexible online courses.
- Cox Campus: A free online learning platform with the singular goal of eradicating illiteracy.
- Alabama Mandated Reporters Training: Department of Human Resources (DHR) training for Alabama mandated reporters
- ADECE Blue Sky: Learning management system for all virtual professional development opportunities provided from the ADECE
- WIDA: Proven tools and support to help educators and multilingual learners succeed
- ECLKC Engaging Interactions and Environments: These 15-minute In-service Suites are a professional development resource for staff in busy, active early childhood centers and programs.
- The Hunt Institute: The Hunt Institute brings together people and resources to inspire and inform elected officials and policymakers about key issues in education, resulting in visionary leaders who are prepared to take strategic action for greater educational outcomes and student success
- Early Childhood Investigation Webinars: Early Childhood Investigations offers free webinars to early childhood educators
- Graduate Certificate in Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health